Monday, June 15, 2009

A week from tomorrow...

I am scheduled to go back to the medical research center a week from tomorrow. I've been in full compliance with the medical directions, not missing a dose since the first day of the trial. I am still on bottle three, which, as I've mentioned before is either placebo or an ineffectively low dose of Pagoclone.

From my experience with bottle one, I know Pagoclone can help me speak more fluently. Not by itself - the pill is not a cure by any means. But in conjunction with speech therapy (for me, that's mostly stuttering prevention techniques along with some fluency shaping techniques), I know that Pagoclone can be a useful tool for helping me control my speech and speak more fluently.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information.
    Are there any side effects?

    ReplyDelete
  2. [Always New] - thanks for your comment. Nope - no side effects to report. When I was on Bottle One, which I believe to have been Pagoclone, I felt a reduction in tension in my throat - a tension that was made noticeable by its absence. That really helped me speak more fluently. Bottle Two and Three had little or no effect on my speech, and the tension that had disappeared while taking Bottle One returned for both Bottles Two and Three. But side effects, like headache, nausea, etc? Not a bit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was under the impression that if you are in the study you are only given one particular dose: placebo, low dose pagocole or higher dose pagoclone. But for me the three bottles were very different in terms of their effects. I am on bottle three now. If I had to guess, I think for me bottle1 was the placebo, bottle2 the lower dose and bottle3 the higher dose of pagoclone. Bottle 1 had zero effects. Bottle 2 had a slight positive effect on my speech with no other effects. With bottle 3, the first day I felt fatigue like effects described by others and when walking around work had a distinctly unusual and difficult to articulate feeling when I walked around someone that made it seem not like normal fatigue. The fatigue has gone away now. Like you I also feel a loose feeling in my throat. Of course all three could be placebo and the effects I am feeling could be due to the normal variation in my speech and my vivid imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. [Anonymous] Thanks for your comment, and thanks for sharing your experiences with the study. I am pretty sure the chance of placebo is reset with every stage - I read about this somewhere - I'll have to dig that up and will post the stats. Thanks again, J.

    ReplyDelete